|Plants & Human Affairs (BIOL106) - Stephen G. Saupe, Ph.D.; Biology Department, College of St. Benedict/St. John's University, Collegeville, MN 56321; email@example.com; http://www.employees.csbsju.edu/ssaupe|
"And he gave it for his opinion, that whoever could make two ears of corn
and two blades of grass grow upon a spot where only one grew before, would
deserve better of mankind, and do more essential service to his country than a
whole race of politicians put together."
Complete the following sentences,
just as a politician completes an election campaign.
Answer ANY 12 of 15
2. Pharmacognosy is�..
3. A herbarium is important because�.
4. Many plant products have been replaced by synthetics because....
5. Milk sickness is....
6. We should thank a plant each time we inhale because...
7. According to the Doctrine of Signatures�.
8. An autotroph is�.
9. A eukaryotic cell is one that�.
10. St. John's wort is used to treat�.
11. The difference between a spore and a seed is�.
12. The vascular cambium is�.
13. A bud is�.
14. Ethnobotany is�..
15. A secondary metabolite is�.
Circle-the-Term Question: Consider an oak or maple tree. Circle all of the following terms that apply to oak (and maple) trees?
annual biennial deciduous evergreen forb perennial
Match each of the following locations with the numbered location on the
map. Note ‑ there are more
numbers than will be used. Some
numbers may be used more than once.
map here with countries numbered (not inserted)
______ Great Britain (England, Scotland)
______ New Guinea
______ New Zealand
______ Republic of Ireland
______ South Africa
Answer the following True (T) or False (F).
Feel free to qualify your answer with a statement.
is a species of algae that floats
______ Sargassum grows along the coast of Hispaniola
______ Migratory birds helped Columbus find land
______ Columbus found many spices in Hispaniola that he had expected
______ Columbus landed in North America on his first voyage
______ Black pepper and White pepper are prepared from different plants
______ Columbus was a good botanist.
______ It was well know during the time of Columbus that the earth is round.
Multiple Choice Question: Circle the single best answer.
1. When Columbus thought he had found Aloe vera (barbadensis) he was happy because this plant can be used:
a. as a laxative to purge the body
b. to cure malaria
c. to kill mosquitos
d. to stimulate the heart
e. to reduce itching from poison ivy
Use the diagram to answer the following questions.
I. Identify the following parts of the plant on the diagram (diagram of
a plant with structures number, 1 - 24, diagram not inserted):
18. Two functions of structure 24 are:
19. The pollen is produced in structure number ______.
20. The structure that develops into the fruit is number ______.
21. The egg is located in structure number ______.
22. The structure that produces a branch is number ______.
23. The primary function of structure number 1 is:
Origins Question: For each of the following plants, indicate if it is native to the New World (N) or Old World (O).
_____ black pepper
Hemp Question: For each of the following, circle the one that is characteristic of marijuana
native to the Old World native to the New World
little variation between individuals
Biodynamic Plant Matching
Match each of the following with the appropriate plant.
Note: some may be used more than once, others not at all.
a) Aloe vera
b) Black snakeroot
c) Calabar bean
e) Ebena snuff
j) Opium poppy
11. _____ important Chinese medicinal herb
22. _____, _____ native to the Andes (2 responses required)
24. _____ used to treat malaria
25. _____ treatment for memory loss, senility
27. _____ hallucinogenic
28. _____ Trial by Ordeal
Let's shed some light on this
situation. For each of the
following, provide the evolutionary rationale (significance, importance) for the
Dark grown plants are (taller/shorter - circle one) than plants grown in
the light because�.
Dark grown plants have (larger/smaller - circle one) stems than light
grown plants because�
Dark grown plants have a hook at the tip because�..
Dark grown plants are yellow, not green because�.
Botanist Matching Question: Match each of the following with the appropriate individual.
c. Mark Plotkin
d. Richard Evans Schultes
e. William Withering
_____ identified foxglove as a treatment for dropsy
_____ developed the current system of naming plants; 1700's; Swedish
_____ spent a considerable amount of time in the tropics; subject of video
Fast Plant Questions: In lab we studied the pods of a Fast plant. We observed that the pods had variable numbers of seeds ranging from 4 to 10 seeds. Assume that a pod has 10 seeds and then answer the following questions:
1. Do all of the seeds in this pod have the same mother? Explain.
Do all of the seeds in the pod have the same father? Explain.
The pod with 10 seeds developed from _____ flower(s), _____ ovary(s), _____ ovule(s), _____ egg(s), _____ sperms, and _____ pollen grain.
Short Answer Questions: Using complete sentences that would leave even a politician speechless, answer the following. Answer 5 of 6
1. Hemp is a multi-purpose crop. Describe three major uses of this plant.
2. Compare and contrast the terms poisonous, hallucinogenic and poisonous. Explain why these terms are �relative�.
3. Where does growth occur in a plant?
4. Why has there been a prejudice against traditional medicines?
5. Describe the process by which chocolate is prepared from cocoa pods.
6. To a sailor, algae in the water meant that there were rocks nearby or land was ahead. Explain how Sargassum tricked Columbus. That is, why didn't the observation of Sargassum mean either?
Longer Answer Question. We discussed a model of drug discovery that included five major steps � folk knowledge, scientific discovery, botanical exploration, physiological exploration, chemical exploration. Select any plant that we've studied, such as foxglove or Fever bark tree, and discuss how it relates to this model.
you made it!! You've completed your first Plants & Human Affairs exam!
I consider an exam to be an athletic event for the mind. Just like an athlete preparing for an event, I provide an opportunity for you to warm up and cool down. At the beginning of the exam there is a quote and some other goofy stuff to �warm up on�. To cool your brain off after he exam, I have a included some additional goofy questions at the end of the exam. You can earn points for the bonus questions, the others are for fun only. I will respond to any comments.
Earn one bonus point for each correct response.
No points are deducted for incorrect responses.
was your favorite topic that we covered so far?
What is allelopathy?
Genius Question: Automatic
"A" on the test and Ph.D degree to the university of your choice.
No partial credit.
Name all the plants in the US Pharmacopoeia. Give scientific names, family name, and all medical uses. Spelling counts.
Can you shoot straight with a pistil?
How far can you petal a bicycle?
Obvious Answer Question: This is toughie, but I know you can do it. Win a sticker! Name the best class at CSB/SJU _____________________ (Hint check page 1, upper left hand corner.)
Last updated: 08/25/2008 � Copyright by SG Saupe